TRAIL RUNNING TOUR DU MONT BLANC
One of the most famous routes in the world. An epic journey through the French, Italian and Swiss Alps.
It is difficult to describe the beauty of this route in words. Only by living and feeling the route of the Tour du Mont Blanc, you’ll understand why this is one of the most beautiful routes in the world. You’ll enjoy amazing trail running trails, while you traverse three countries on foot. Just imagine the landscapes of high alpine meadows, the glaciers, the snow-capped peaks, the lakes, the Mont Blanc itself, and, of course, the physical and mental challenges. The Tour du Mont Blanc is a dream for any trail runner.
- Duration: from August 19 to August 26 2023. 8days / 7 nights.
- Area: Italy / France / Switzerland.
- Difficulty: high effort. Challenging adventure with 6-8 hours of running / speed hiking per day, with up to 2000m/6560ft of elevation gain.
- Accommodation: huts or refuges in shared rooms/dorms only. 3* hotel in Chamonix (single room supplement available for an extra price, applicable only for 2 nights).
- Participants: max 6.
IS THIS TOUR FOR ME?
If you enjoy trail running this tour is for you. You don’t need to be a fast runner or have technical climbing skills. However, you do need to be fit enough to cover the daily distance and elevation gain. The trip is planned so that when you arrive at the next overnight accommodation, you have time to relax, have a glass of wine, read a book and enjoy the alpine views. Some days the distance can be reduced by taking either a cable car or public transportation. For your comfort while running, your main luggage will be transported from hut to hut each day, meaning you’ll only have to carry a light running vest with your essentials. For the entire tour, you will be led by a certified Hiking Guide. Your safety and comfort are our main priority. Please, make sure that your physical condition is adequate to the itinerary described below. Please, get in touch with us if you have any questions.
DAY 1 – Saturday 19th August
Arrive in Chamonix rest and adventure preparation.
Arrive in Chamonix, the world capital of outdoor sports located in France. Airport transport is on your own in order to allow you the maximum flexibility. We are in any case available in order to support you every time in case you need suggestions or tips to organize the trip. Enjoy your first impressive views of Mont Blanc and depending on your time of arrival you will have time to walk around Chamonix city Center or just relax in the Hotel or outdoor in before joining the group for our trip meeting, followed by dinner in Chamonix.
DAY 2 – Sunday 20th August
Les Houches – Les Contamines – Refuge Nant Borrant
Today is the official start of our trail running adventure. We leave Chamonix towards Les Houches, arrived there we climb up heading to Bellevue where we can already admire the beautiful views of the valley. We continue toward the Tricot pass on a path that offers constant and beautiful views of the Bionassay Glacier. Once at the pass we descend towards the quaint Miage valley on one of the prettiest corners of the Tour du Mont Blanc. We continue toward our overnight destination close to the village of Les Contamines.
DAY 3 – Monday 21st August
Refuge de Nant Borrant – Refuge de Mottets
After leaving the hut we have a long and steep ascent leading to Col du Bonhomme. A little bit higher we reach the second col of the day the Croix de Bonhomme at 2440 meters of altitude, where we will enjoy amazing views of the valleys on both sides. A nice and runnable trail takes us downhill to Les Chapieux, from here we will have a mix of a flat trail to a steady easy uphill towards Refuge Les Mottets at 1864 meters, which will be our hut for the night.
DAY 4 – Tuesday 22nd August
Refuge de Mottets – Le Randonneur Chez Ollier (Courmayeur)
The day starts with a steep trail, but the views will be our boost to continue and finally cross the border into Italy at Col de la Seigne. Once on the col, you will admire the views of the French and the Italian valleys. On the Italian side, we will have a long run into Val Veny. A long flat path will take us to the start of the steep trail towards the ridge on Mont Favre, and then on to the Col Checrouit where we will spend the night.
DAY 5 – Wednesday 23rd August
Le Randonneur Chez Ollier (Courmayeur) – Gite de la Fouly (La Fouly)
We start the day taking the cable car till Courmayeur city center, after a genuine Italian coffee we start with a vertical climb towards Rifugio Bertone. After admiring the views, we follow an almost flat, beautiful, easy but high trail towards Rifugio Bonatti. We will pass the beautiful Rifugio Elena, where we can enjoy a coffee or a drink and then continue our way towards the high Gran Col Ferret. We will contemplate the spectacular views of the Swiss and the Italian valleys from the col. A beautiful descent on a single trail will take us to our accommodation for the night at the end of Val Ferret.
DAY 6 – Thursday 24th August
Gite de la Fouly (La Fouly) – Refuge le Peuty (Trient)
We start the day with an easy descent to the ancient village of Praz de Fort and continue our path to the start of the ascent towards Champex Lac. Leaving Champex Lac behind we head up through the forests on an easy-open path until Plan de l’Au where we start a steep ascent traversing around the mountain to La Giete. Once in the highest point we run downhill towards Col de la Forclaz and continue our descent to the last Swiss village and its iconic pink church in Trient.
DAY 7 – Friday 25th August
Refuge le Peuty (Trient) – Chamonix
We have a couple of uphills and downhills more until our final destination. On the way, we will have fantastic views of the Mont Blanc and the Aiguilles Rouges mountains. We traverse the mountain before we start our last descent towards La Flegere and Chamonix. We will close our journey with a celebration dinner and drink.
DAY 8 – Saturday 26th August
Au Revoir Chamonix
We enjoy a last breakfast together and then it is time to pack all the memories and head back home.
The entire tour is done in English.
*We reserve the right to change the itinerary without previous notice due to weather conditions, National Parks regulations or notifications and unforeseeable circumstances.
PRICE AND DETAILS
THE TOUR INCLUDES
- All the scheduled activities.
- All accommodation during the tour (7 nights).
- Huts or refuges in shared rooms/dorms only.
- 3* hotel in Chamonix (single room supplement available for an extra price, applicable only 2 nights)
- Luggage transfer between accommodations.
- Cable car from Col Checrouit to Courmayeur.
- All main meals during the tour (7 breakfast, 7 packed lunch, 6 dinners) + a lot of trails snacks distributed by the guide.
- Guiding from a certified local hiking guide.
- Amazing trails & beautiful landscapes.
THE TOUR EXCLUDES
- Transport to Geneve or other Airport (e.g. flights).
- First Dinner in Chamonix.
- Insurance. All participants are required to have their own insurance appropriate for outdoor sports; such as health, accident, mountain rescue, repatriation, cancellation, personal liability, etc.
- Additional Trail snack to eat on the go – dried fruit, nuts or energy bars to last you throughout the runs (further info in the packing list)
- Alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages.
- Expenses for extra activities.
- Any accommodations for extra days in Chamonix.
- Any private transfer.
- Any additional lifts or cable cars.
- Price: from 2150€/person. 30% deposit is due to secure your spot, the remaining balance is due 60 days before the start of the trip.
- Cancellation policy:
- Trip pending: a 30% down payment is fully refundable.
- Trip confirmed: a 30% down payment is refundable within 60 days or more before trip starts.
- 60 days or less before the trip starts 30% down payment is non-refundable. See Terms and Conditions for details.
- Participants: 6 max.
- The sale and technical management of the stay is entrusted to Korakane Travel: www.korakanetravel.com
- We reserve the right to change the itinerary without previous notice due to weather conditions, and unforeseeable circumstances.
- This tour is governed by the Terms and Conditions.
- Travel insurance is required for all of our trips. Make sure that your insurance covers trip cancellation (in case of any unforeseen circumstances)