GRAN PARADISO TREKKING
A 5-days Trekking in the Gran Paradiso National Park, we will walk between two of the most beautiful valleys of the Aosta Valley, the Valsavarenche and the Val di Rhêmes. A ring itinerary that will take us to explore different environments, from the larch woods of the valley floor, alpine lakes, moraines, glaciers up to the summit of “Punta Basei” at 3338m, the highest point of our journey. A trek for moderately trained walkers who will repay the efforts with memories and landscapes of authentic beauty.
This August, Unbeaten Tracks is offering a 5-day Trekking in the Gran Paradiso National Park between two of the most beautiful valleys in Valle d’Aosta, Valsavarenche and Val di Rhêmes. A spectacular ring itinerary that will take us from the sweet coniferous woods and the well-kept meadows of the valley floor up to touching majestic glaciers, skirting stupendous glacial lakes and moraines, admiring boundless valleys and climbing mountains of truly rare beauty, up to the summit of “Punta Basei” at 3338m. A trek for moderately trained walkers who will repay the efforts with memories and landscapes of authentic beauty.
- Duration: from August 11 to August 15, 2023. 5 days / 4 nights.
- Area: Aosta Valley (Italy).
- Difficulty: mid effort. Trekking adventures with 5-6 hours of hiking per day, with up to 1350m/ 4429ft of elevation gain.
- Accommodation: 4 Nights at Mountain Refuge (Le Marmotte / Benevolo / Tetras Lyre / Vittorio Emanuele II)
- Participants: max 10.
IS THIS TREKKING FOR ME?
If you already have experience hiking or multi-day alpine backpacking treks this trek is absolutely for you. The itinerary is moderately demanding but balanced in order to offer the right recovery, alternating more demanding stages with other easier ones. No particular technical skills are required, just a fair level of fitness and the ability to cover the daily distance and the expected altitude difference. The average length of the daily stages is around 13km, while the longest stage is 19km long with around 1000m of elevation gain. It is important to take into consideration that you will have to walk with your own rucksack for the entire Trekking so a rational use of space is essential to keep the weight as low as possible. For any kind of doubt, the Trekking Torino team is available!
DAY 1 – Friday 11st August
From Eaux Rousses to Le Marmotte hut
We will start our journey from Eaux Rousses in Valsavarenche one of the most important valleys of the Gran Paradiso Natural Park. We will first enter a dense larch forest and then continue towards Lake Djouan and Lake Nero in a majestic high mountain setting with a view of the Gran Paradiso. After a final stretch of climb we will reach a panoramic mountain pass, Colle Entrelor (3002m), the highest point of the daily excursion which marks the entrance to Val di Rhêmes. We will then begin the descent towards the Le Marmotte refuge where we will spend the night.
DAY 2 – Saturday 12nd August
From Le Marmotte hut to Benevolo hut
On the second day of Trekking we will walk entirely in Val di Rhêmes dominated by the Granta Parei and the glaciers that surround it. After a short downhill stretch we will travel along the valley floor and then go up again to the Benevolo refuge positioned in a panoramic position from which we could admire the whole valley after a good beer. The climb will never be demanding and will allow us to recover from the efforts of the previous day.
DAY 3 – Sunday 13rd August
From Benevolo Hut to Tetras Lyre Hut
The third day of Trekking is the most demanding but also the most spectacular. Starting from the Benevolo refuge we will begin to climb towards Colle Basei surrounded by a majestic high mountain environment surrounded by glaciers and imposing peaks. We will then reach the base of Punta Basei at over 3300m. After the usual photos we will begin the descent in Valsavarenche towards the Nivolet plains and finally to the Tetras Lyre refuge. A high mountain stage that will surely remain etched in our memories for a long time!
DAY 4 – Monday 14th August
From Tetras Lyre Hut to Vittorio Emanuele Hut
After the efforts of the previous day, today we will cover a shorter and easier itinerary that follows the first part of the ascent route to the Gran Paradiso up to the iconic Vittorio Emanuele II Hut. At the choice of the participants, in the afternoon it will be possible to go on an excursion near the Refuge without the weight of the backpack!.
DAY 5 – Tuesday 15th August
From Vittorio Emanuele Hut to Eaux Rousses
For the last day of Trekking we will walk the balcony path that connects the Vittorio Emanuele Hut to the Federico Chabod Hut, another famous starting point for ascents to the Gran Paradiso. It will be a last day characterized by splendid views as we will always walk on the slopes of the Gran Paradiso glaciers before descending towards Eaux Rousses.
The tour will be held in English and Italian.
*We reserve the right to change the itinerary without previous notice due to weather conditions, National Parks regulations or notifications and unforeseeable circumstances.
Medium/Challenging. This is a moderately challenging trek where you should expect to walk an average of 6 hours a day, with an elevation gain of up to 1350 metres. The key point is that you will have to walk with your backpack, so previous experience with alpine hiking and multi-day treks is recommended. As terms of reference to participate in the trek without difficulty, you must be in good physical shape and able to cover at least 15km with at least 1000m of difference in altitude in an alpine environment above 2000m in altitude without excessive effort. You should also be used to hiking and be able to do it comfortably for at least 5 hours a day. Contact us to be able to talk about it in more detail.
PRICE AND DETAILS
THE TOUR INCLUDES
- All the scheduled activities.
- All accommodation during the tour (4 nights).
- Huts or refuges in shared rooms/dorms only.
- All dinners and breakfasts during the tour + a lot of trails snacks distributed by the guide.
- Guiding from a certified hiking guide.
- Amazing trails & beautiful landscapes.
THE TOUR EXCLUDES
- Transport to Geneve or other Airport (e.g. flights).
- Packed lunches during the trek.
- Insurance. All participants are required to have their own insurance appropriate for outdoor sports; such as health, accident, mountain rescue, repatriation, cancellation, personal liability, etc.
- Additional Trail snack to eat on the go – dried fruit, nuts or energy bars to last you throughout the runs (further info in the packing list)
- Alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages.
- Expenses for extra activities.
- Any accommodations for extra days in Aosta Valley.
- Any private transfer.
- Price: 560€/person. 30% deposit is due to secure your spot, the remaining balance is due 30 days before the start of the trip.
- Cancellation policy:
- Trip pending: a 30% down payment is fully refundable.
- Trip confirmed: a 30% down payment is refundable within 30 days or more before trip starts.
- 30 days or less before the trip starts 30% down payment is non-refundable. See Terms and Conditions for details.
- Participants: 10 max.
- We reserve the right to change the itinerary without previous notice due to weather conditions, and unforeseeable circumstances.
- The sale and technical management of the stay is entrusted to Korakane Travel: www.korakanetravel.com
- This tour is governed by the Terms and Conditions.
- Travel insurance is required for all of our trips. Make sure that your insurance covers trip cancellation (in case of any unforeseen circumstances)